John H. Kitzmann is a partner and co-founder of Davidson & Kitzmann, PLC. He is also the former Chair of the Family Law Section of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association. Mr. Kitzmann practices in the areas of family law and appeals.
ExperienceMr. Kitzmann has been practicing family law for almost twenty years. He has extensive experience negotiating and litigating the full range of family law issues. Mr. Kitzmann's recent representations in the area of family law have involved a divorce involving more than $3,000,000.00 in marital property located in California, Utah and Virginia, litigation concerning the value and distribution of a multinational corporation, complex child visitation disputes between divorcing physician and lawyer spouses relocating for their careers, and successfully obtaining custody for clients in cases involving parental alienation, domestic violence, and psychological issues.
EducationUniversity of Virginia School of Law
Juris Doctor - 1996
- Super Lawyers
- Top Attorneys in Virginia
- Top 10 Client Satisfaction
Recent Speaking Engagements and Publications
- Evidence in Family Law: Virginia Trial Lawyers Association Annual Family Law Conference
- Legal Issues Regarding Electronic Devices and Communications: 35th Annual Family Law Seminar
- Preserving Issues for Appeal: Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Motions Commonly Used in Family Law Cases: Virginia Trial Lawyers Association Journal
- Classification of Property in Divorce: Virginia Trial Lawyers Association Annual Family Law Seminar
- Appeals to the Virginia Court of Appeals: Charlottesville Albemarle Bar Association
- Ethical Issues in Collaborative Law: Charlottesville Albemarle Bar Association Family Law Program
- Evidence Issues in Divorce: Virginia Trial Lawyers Association Fall Conference
- Guide to Protective Orders: Charlottesville Albemarle Bar Association Annual Family Law CLE
Appeals ExperienceMr. Kitzmann is proud of his experience handling appeals. Appellate advocacy depends heavily on excellent writing skills and legal analysis. Mr. Kitzmann has used his appellate skills both to protect clients he has represented at the trial level and also to help new clients who have had other lawyers represent them at the trial level. Below is a sample of the appeals cases Mr. Kitzmann has handled:
- Brandenstein v. Brandenstein, 2015 Va. App. LEXIS 292 (2015)
- David v. David, 2014 Va. LEXIS 24 (2014)
- Pascarella v. McCoy, 011 Va. App. LEXIS 8 (2011)
- Vanderveer v. Vanderveer, 2004 Va. App. LEXIS 459 (2004)
- Lightburn v. Lightburn, 2009 Va. App. LEXIS 459 (2009)
- Duva v. Duva, 55 Va. App. 286 (2009)
- Concannon v. Gladstone, 2007 Va. App. LEXIS 192 (2007)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- Supreme Court of the Commonwealth of Virginia
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Virginia Bar Association
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, Chair Family Law Section
- Thomas Jefferson Inn of Court, Former Secretary/Treasurer
- Charlottesville-Albemarle Bar Association
To schedule a consultation with Mr. Kitzmann, please call (434) 972-9600 or contact us online.
Download Outlook vCard
Davidson and Kitzmann, PLC
211 E. High Street
Charlottesville, Virginia 22902
Tel: (434) 972-9600
Fax: (434) 220-0011
Charlottesville Divorce and Family Law Site
Laws, cases, and news regarding divorce, family law, and collaborative law.
CharlottesvilleDivorce and Family Law Blog
Insights and commentary on divorce, family law, and collaborative law.
We are a Charlottesville, Va law firm, but our lawyers handle cases in Charlottesville, Albemarle County, Greene County, Fluvanna County, Louisa County, Nelson County, Madison County, Orange County, Richmond, Roanoke, Harrisonburg, Staunton, Waynesboro, Augusta County, and across Virginia.